Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Soliciters

Can I just say that I HATE dealing with people who are trying to sell me stuff. If I ever turn them down I can't wait to tell John because I'm so proud of myself. Usually if I look out the window and see that I don't know the person, I'll make John answer the door so that he can deal with the pestering people. So obviously I'm writing this because I had to deal with one of these pesky people today. I had to spend precious minutes listening to her rant about how she can get a scholarship, and how she's been out all day, how sweaty her head is underneath all her hair, how she put on sunscreen but is still sunburned anyway, how she'll even give me some money if I'll just buy a subscription, how she's been working at this for twelve weeks, blah, blah ,blah, blah, blah. You can get subscriptions on eBay for super cheap right, so why in the world would I spend SIXTY dollars for a stupid magazine. I wouldn't. Unless I was put into this unbearable situation. Ugh. First she is telling me the cheapest one is 48, so of course she suckers me into it eventually (all while I'm thinking about all the other ways I'd rather spend that money) but then when I'm writing the check, she fesses up to the detail she conveniently didn't mention before-the FIFTEEN dollars for shipping and handling or something stupid like that. So I'm getting these super awesome children's magazines for only about ten dollars a piece. Super Swell Deal. And I can't help but wonder if anything she told me was true. Did she really only have to get 2 more people....Was she really out all day....It all seems like too much of a perfected scheme to sucker people like me into spending money on something they normally would never even consider. Oh yeah, to top it all off she felt the need to hug me at the very end. Seriously? You feel the need to get intimate like that with a complete stranger. That whole bit left me almost as uncomfortable as buying the magazines. And in case she told anyone of my neighbors out there that I suggested she visit them...NOT TRUE! Although I couldn't wait for her to leave my porch, I didn't lose my integrity by selling out a neighbor to hurry up her departure.

No comments:

Post a Comment