Sunday, November 7, 2010

Answering My Own Prayers

I have someone in my life that I love, someone who has struggled for several years, someone who is unable to fulfill their dreams because of choices they've made, someone who might have given up hope on themselves, someone whose life is more often filled with sorrow than joy. About a year ago, something happened that left me bawling all night. I've shed many tears for this person over the years because of everything they've been through, but this night was different. My heart ached so badly for them, for all that they were missing in life, all that they'd suffered, all that they had given up. I made a commitment that night. I knew that God was the only one with the ability to work a miracle in this person's life, and I resolved that I would petition Him and pull down His power in this person's behalf in any means available to me. I have been praying and fasting on a daily and weekly basis. I try to be specific in my pleadings rather than simply asking God to bless them. A few weeks ago, I started asking God to surround this person with people of good influence who would pull them back to God. This was the thing that I felt would be most powerful at this point in the person's life. I didn't think much of it when a certain idea kept coming to my mind. This specific idea had filtered through a few times before, but I had never committed to it, maybe out of fear or maybe out of doubt. But this time, I made a decision that I was going to act on this impression that kept pressing upon me. It would take a lot of preparation, it would involve a form of directness that had always resulted in bad results previously, and I was more than a little scared to carry it out, but I was committed. I felt really good after making the decision and knew that it was something God wanted me to do. A few days later as I was reiterating my plea that people of good influence would come into this person's life and pull them back to God, my heart froze with a spiritual realization. It was me. I was the person I had been praying for.

No comments:

Post a Comment